Featured Post

U motenya!

I leave my house for work and get called over by two village women awaiting their chance to do business with the chief. The first smiles...

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Off to the Caribbean

The preparations are nearly in order. I have paid bills, gathered educational materials, background, and lesson plans, (mostly) packed my bags, sold my car…I am almost completely ready for the next eight months at sea. Which is probably a good thing, given that I leave this weekend.

I will be joining the Harvey Gamage in St. Thomas for a week of training before our students arrive and we set sail. I am incredibly excited about all the places we will be visiting (Antigua, Dominica, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Belize before Spring Break) and also the opportunity to work with the same twenty-three students for a full four months.

I am uncertain how often I will be able to find internet access in the islands and Central America, however, I hope to be able to update everyone at least every few weeks. Starting March 23, I will have a week where I should be able to get caught up with everyone. (March 23rd is also most likely the first time I will be able to receive "snail mail" c/o Harvey Gamage-OCF, 29 McKown St, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538) Then we will be visiting American ports, where at least the local library should be able to provide some reliable communication.

Until then…fair winds!

No comments: