Featured Post

U motenya!

I leave my house for work and get called over by two village women awaiting their chance to do business with the chief. The first smiles...

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Happiness

Generally, I take a Bah Humbug approach to Christmas preparations. I change the radio station when a hint of carol jingles. I grumble (loudly) about the commercial side of the season. At the end of October Disney's A Christmas Carol train tour set up camp near the ship and I shared my disgust with everyone I saw.

Somehow, December has inspired my holiday spirit in a new way. Perhaps it was the holiday spirit of Charleston with Christmas parades in the streets and on the waters. Perhaps it was the number of holiday parties I attended. Maybe it was that I managed to avoid holiday shopping in stores until the last few days, thereby ignoring some of my least favorite parts of Christmas.

Whatever the reason, I have been unusually filled with holiday cheer. I have smiled and said "Merry Christmas" to the vendors at Dunkin Donuts during my regular java fill ups along the drive from SC to New England to Erie. I have helped friends and family decorate Christmas trees. I have even left the radio station unchanged and sung along when the carols filled my car.

So, with sincerity and more gusto than usual I wish you a Merry Christmas!

No comments: