Featured Post

U motenya!

I leave my house for work and get called over by two village women awaiting their chance to do business with the chief. The first smiles...

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Bumming in Maine

Well, I have spent the last five weeks or so bumming around Maine. Mostly, around Winthrop with occasional jaunts to Kennebunk, Freeport, Vassalboro, Augusta, Fayette, and the like. I was actually getting pretty bored, so I joined a local fitness center and started a learn to run program. That's been going surprisingly well. But, now I have real news. I might just have things almost figured out.

I have a job offer! And I will definitely be sailing within the month. The question is still where.

Yesterday I had an interview with the Spirit of South Carolina, a tallship that is based in Charleston and just launched Sunday. I interviewed for their Head Shipboard Educator position and really really really want that job. It is quite similar to what I did at camp, but with a different curriculum-most of which still has to be developed- and on a tallship. I think the interview went well, they still have one person to interview but the Education Director told me that I am the most qualified for the position. That's positive, right?

So, today I had a second interview for that position, with the Captain. We talked a lot of shop and at the end of our conversation he said that the Ed Director makes the final decision, but he thinks I would be a really good fit with their program. Double positive, right?

So here is where the actual job offer comes in, not ten minutes after my interview yesterday, I got a call from the Captain of another tallship. I'd applied over a month ago and written them off by now. We did the interview right then, and he offered me a job. I'd already told him about the Spirit of South Carolina, so actually what he said was, "If they call and break your heart, I want you to work for me." He really seemed to think highly of the program in SC, though and sounded like he hoped I got that job, which is cool. But at least I have a good backup! A particularly fun one too, since I would be sailing the boat from Miami to Lake Michigan. Tons of open water, offshore sailing!!! Of course, the comical part of that is that I just got out of Michigan!

No comments: