Featured Post

U motenya!

I leave my house for work and get called over by two village women awaiting their chance to do business with the chief. The first smiles...

Monday, March 03, 2014

"Patient Zero: The Origin of Aids"

My role in Lesotho will be as a Healthy Youth Advisor. Part of my volunteer work will include HIV/AIDS education, as Lesotho has the third highest HIV rate in the world. The current HIV positive rate ranges between 24% and 28%, which is literally stunning.

So, with this in mind, I share Radiolab's free podcast Patient Zero: The Origins of Aids. Most surprising factoid: the disease has been identified in a Bantu man who died in 1908. We do not think of this as a century old disease, but science has shown otherwise.

I really encourage you to take the half hour to learn a bit more about this disease. You might learn something...

No comments: