Featured Post

U motenya!

I leave my house for work and get called over by two village women awaiting their chance to do business with the chief. The first smiles...

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Saying Goodbye Part 1

As I prepare to leave my village for the last two and half years; saying goodbye has become a regular part of my daily life.

There is no easy way in Sesotho or English to explain to my local friends and family just how much I will miss them when I depart. Last week I attended a community gathering and tried to say in words exactly how important the community is to me.



To translate for you, I said:

Hello mothers and fathers. My name is Thato Molisa. I am a Peace Corps Volunteer in this village. I live here with 'M'e 'Masekila Molisa.

For the last two years I have worked with Marakabei Community Care Coalition to help orphans and vulnerable children in five villages.

We started a project making and selling achaar. Right now we are also starting an egg-laying chicken project. I help at clinic. I have worked with many children and youth. I taught life skills at the local primary school. I taught Grassroot Soccer, a program that uses games to help prevent HIV. I also worked with an HIV support group for teens.

After two years, the time has come for me to leave. I will leave on the 29th of November. I will be living in the Maseru district to work with Sentebale before I return to America in August of next year.

People of my village, thank you. Truly, you have helped me so much. I love to live and work here. You profoundly welcomed me. You made me part of your community. You protected me always.

I do not want to go. I will miss you always. But, I hope that you will welcome the two new volunteers that are coming: 'M'e Mosa and Ntate Mpho the same way you welcomed me in 2014. Remember, when I arrived, I only knew a little Sesotho. I would always say "bua hape" (say it again), "butle hle" (slowly please), and "he ke utloisisi" (I don't understand). I ask that you help them the way you helped me. They are excited to live and work with you. I know that you will love one another. Your children will speak English well and will gain positive life skills.

I will visit you when I return. Truly, I love you and I will miss you. My original place is Ha Rasekila. Thank you.


For a fun language comparison, check out the significantly shorter speech I made when I first arrived in the community two and half years earlier. 

No comments: